"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Waffle House Sequel

I have been meaning to write an update about what happened at the Waffle House after this post: http://wronginalltherightways-travcat.blogspot.com/2012/02/lessons-at-waffle-house.html


A really sweet person named Ashley read my post about our wonderful waitress and sent me an e-mail. She said she had some connections high up at Waffle House. She wanted to let them now about my new friend, Jenine (sorry, I know I am spelling your name wrong again!). 


Ashley said, "Corporate folks always hear when there are problems, but they rarely hear about stories like yours!"


Of course, I was thrilled to tell her about Jenine and the location of the Waffle House that we visited. But then I got busy and forgot to follow up on things. 


Recently, my dad came to visit us from out of town. He is a loyal reader to my blog, so he wanted to go to our Waffle House and meet Jenine. I was a little worried that she might not remember us. I needn't have worried. As soon as we came in, she gave us all a hug and even remembered my kids' names (which is no easy task!) 


I wish this picture was clearer, because you can't really see Jenine very well. Her smile just lights up the room. 


The first things she said to me was, "I didn't even know  that I made that much of a difference to you!"


I almost cried. I thought about all the tiny decisions we have to make everyday. The decision to smile at someone or to just stare straight ahead. The decision to honk impatiently at the car in front of us. The decision to count to ten, or maybe a hundred and not yell when our daughter spills her milk again. That one small moment of  caring can change someone's life. 

Turns out the corporate office did contact Jenine and plans are in the works to reward her.  I even got to meet the manager of the store. She said lots of people who worked for Waffle House had read my post about Jenine. I just couldn't believe it. My little post actually made a difference! Jenine certainly taught me a lot! 

I sure hope Jenine gets to be a manager, or maybe she could get her own fleet of Waffle Houses! 

5 comments:

  1. How awesome that her small act could make such a difference to you, and that you blogging about it can mean good things for her! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is WONDERFUL! So happy that she was rewarded for her wonderful caring actions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful! I love reading your blog. It always brightens my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad to hear about your experience at our restaurant, and we are especially happy to hear about how well Jenine takes care of you. We're very proud of her too. I wanted to know if we could have your permission to re-print your blog in our internal magazine that goes to all of our 30,000 Associates. We love hearing stories like yours and sharing them with our Associates.

    Regards,
    Pat Warner
    VP-Marketing & Communications
    Waffle House, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Nice to hear good stories!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!