"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, April 8, 2011

Good-bye, My friend

Today I had to make a really tough decision, a decision only I could make. I had to call the vet and tell them to come and put my beloved Hugger, my sweet Mastiff, to sleep. He hadn't eaten in a week and he couldn't get up at all yesterday. They think he had cancer. He went very peacefully, but I miss him, all 180 pounds of him. He was always by my side. He would even lay outside the bathroom door and wait for me. He was always waiting for me when I came home. He also looked to see how I was feeling and then he would come over and drool on me. He was known for his special eating style. If you left food on the counter or table, consider it gone! Once, he gulped down an entire pizza. Another time, I left a roasted chicken in a box on the stove. I turned around for a minute, and looked back to find it gone!!! All gone, bones, packaging, everything!

Rest in Peace, Sweet Hugger. No one can ever take your place.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your family's loss Catherine! RIP Hugger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so hard! We've had to do the same before, and it is truly like losing a part of the family. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm sorry to hear this :( You know I have a special spot for animals in my heart...and this always makes me cry. It's the saddest thing ever to say goodbye to your loyal and faithful friend. :( :( :(

    But you and Hugger WILL be together again.....he's waiting outside the door for you even now, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss Cathrine! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry too. I still miss our dog AJ, my first "baby", and she's been gone 12 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so sorry! We had to say goodbye to our Rubee about a month ago. It was an awful day. I still hear her collar jingling sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO sorry for you!! That is the hardest decision to make. It makes me cry just thinking about it! we have 2 older (11) mutts and we love them to pieces.
    RIP sweet boy!!!
    He is waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!