"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It's not easy being green!

I gotta tell you, lately, like the past 17 years, I've begun to think my family does not appreciate my cooking. Tonight was a really special occasion. I attempted to serve the vegetable of nightmares. The one that makes all other vegetables cringe in fear - Spinach!


I tried to perk it up with a healthy dose of butter. I love spinach, I really do. Is this weird? My son, who is 16, is a closet spinach eater too. He took one look at it and grimaced, "Gross!!!!"
Then, he gave a slight nod while quietly pointing with his fork to his plate. I piled on the succulent green stuff.
"This is so awful that I have to eat by myself in my room." he belted, dashing away before his sisters could witness his crime.

Everyone else, however, was completely freaked out. I am usually not phased by their frequent hysterics, but this was over the top for even them. The whining, the nagging, the crying. And the girls hadn't even started in yet.
The noise was so piercing, I briefly considered knocking myself out with the napkin holder.

When Isabella started mixing her spinach with ketchup, I knew I had to take action.

"That's it!!," I cried. "There is more to life than Happy Meals! No more fast food, ever again!!! "

"Can I put some special sauce on the spinach?" Isabella asked sincerely.

Anastasia begged her father for mercy.

"I know you're angry, but don't take it out on the Happy Meals." my husband cried, loyally.

Tomorrow I am going to surprise them with brussel sprout pie with a side of cauliflower (gross! I hate cauliflower! Even the word "cauliflower makes me want to gag! Quick, get me a Big Mac!)

By the way, guess who is the second closet spinach eater in our family?!

3 comments:

  1. ROFL Spinach is MUCH better (and better FOR you) raw! Just have spinach salad, and don't refer to it as spinach. It's just a salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys are goofy :) Do you put vinegar on it?? that makes it better. and chocolate. that makes it better too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids won't eat it cooked but they ask for seconds when I make our daily spinach salad. Mmmm, spinach!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!