"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Whatcha Been Doing?






Hello everyone!!! I sure did miss you all!! Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts and prayers. They have helped so much. 

So, what have we been doing all this time? I have some difficult news to share. My husband and I are getting a divorce. It has been a really tough time, but I do believe it is for the best. 

The kids and I (and the dogs and cats) have been living with my mom for quite a while. All of us are squished into her little three bedroom ranch. My mom is a saint!  Thank you so much Mom!!!! I am so blessed to have your support and love always. 






Everyone is adjusting, but it has been a tough time. I guess I have been feeling kind of down and overwhelmed. Though we have had some hard days, we have also had some amazing developments. 

Things are definitely getting better......day by day.....frequent doughnut eating really helps.


As you can see from the video, Victoria's walker is growing cobwebs on it now. Though the doctors said she wouldn't be able to, she is walking, even long distances (like all around the driveway) totally unassisted!  She used to be terrified to even attempt to walk outside, but her confidence has soared recently. 


She also has developed quite the temper when she doesn't get her way. I have started being stricter, but she can pitch quite a fit. She is putting three word sentences together, but is really hard to understand. We work on annunciation alot, but she doesn't like to move her mouth much when she talks, almost like a ventriloquist. Such a difference from the withdrawn little one from a year and a half ago.


Victoria also knows almost all her letters and can count to five. She can still seem distant sometimes, but she takes everything in. 


Francesca is totally potty trained, except for at night time. She is quite proud of herself. She is talking much more than ever before, though she is still very hard to understand. She has such a happy spirit and has so much empathy. If I say I can't find my shoes, she will look and look until she finds them. If I take out the garbage, she is right there, trying to help me drag the big can. She loves to help and loves to give hugs. She seems to be following in little Catherine's fashion sense. 





Catherine had some blood work done recently to see if we could discover why she isn't really growing. They took 8 vials of blood! In true Catherine fashion, she just watched the needle calmly and asked lots of questions. The m&m's helped too! All her bloodwork was totally normal, so we decided that she is just petite. 

Of course, she continues to come up with interesting clothing combinations. 




Anastasia and Isabella are such big helpers. I don't know what I would do without them! Grandma has been teaching them a lot about cooking. They have been going on some really fun field trips at their school. 






They are designing a garden in Grandma's yard. 



Elliot is doing well at school and has joined the weight lifting club. 


We have had a few tough times, like when my car wouldn't start on a hill out of town, with 6 kids. Good times! 


As for me, I am adjusting to taking care of six kids on my own. I sort of miss being able to go to the bathroom by myself, ever.  I like to think that as time goes on, and everyone feels a little more secure in the changes, that I may be able to pee in solitary blissfulness. 

We have all certainly learned alot about working together and keeping a joyful spirit. Even during difficult times, we are all so lucky to have each other. 




Please pray for peace for all of us! 


I promise to start writing more now. I am getting my groove back for sure! 

41 comments:

  1. Your adorable tribe is most definitely in my prayers. I pray for peace for your heart that this is for the best and much better times are ahead. Sending lots of love from Montana xxoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine (HUGS) to you! I am so sorry for all the turmoil and sadness.... May the Lord give you peace in this very difficult situation. Loved the clothing styles this week. :) And the girls are all just blossoming. I always knew Victoria would walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is SO good to hear from you again! I am, of course, sorry to hear about your divorce, but I am glad you are doing what you feel is best. It is such a blessing to see Victoria and see Francesca's smiles! I hope the days continue to get brighter for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping you and your beautiful children are safe, happy, loved and taken care of. You are wonderful and you deserve only the best. I hope the changes are for the better, despite the initial heartache and strive. Please write more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, Victoria continues to amaze me! They are all such cuties! I'm glad you are getting your groove back. So sorry to hear about the tough time you've had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about the tough times you have been having. Just wanted to let you know my thoughts & prayers are with you & your gorgeous family

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you guys are going through tough times. May you feel the Lord's arms wrapped around all of you!

    I almost cried when I watched the video!! It's funny how proud I am of a "stranger's" daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be praying for you and the kids(and the cats and dogs) adn for your husband . I hope that you adjust well to your new home and your new life.
    Let me tell you that you have support from a lot of people around the world. I'm from Dominican Republic, (Next to Isabella's birth country). I hope someday to meet you and the kids.
    God always has a plan , and everything that He does it's for a purpose, and He does it for the best, even when we don't see th reason.
    Love , kisses and Hugs.

    Aury Rodríguez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers for your whole family. I'm so sorry. Love the updates on the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you all! The girls look incredible, and I'm so excited to see you blogging again. You are doing an amazing job, and I bet your mom is loving having you with her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this update... So many of us were waiting for it while praying for you all.

    Amazing grace is radiating from you and bold determination is expressed in so many wasy by your amazing children... You will go together through the difficult times, one day at a time, one breath at a time.

    Many Blessings, Eva

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so so sorry to hear your news. My heart sank as I was reading it. I hope things keep getting better for you all and your family finds peace again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure what happened...I was half way through my comment and it disappeared. Sorry if you get two from me!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce, but very glad to see an update from you!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you back! I will pray for all of you to feel God's love, peace and safety during this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sooooooo happy to see you blogging again!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for you and your family! So glad that your Mom is able to provide lots of help and support during this time. She sounds like she is an awesome lady. :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to see you are back! I missed your humorous posts and am so happy to see how all of the girls have blossomed. Your son is so tall and handsome! Take care and thank you for letting us be part of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry for the grief and loss in your lives. So glad that you have your mother to help you. It is hard how life throws us difficulties. Praying for you and the children, and your husband through this. The children are all gorgeous, and so is your mom! What a lovely family, please take care of yourself through this time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad that you have checked in. I have been reading your story for quite some time but don't comment often. I am sorry to read of the changes in your family. Bless you, your Mom, your children and animals too. Sending lots of prayer and goodwill your way. I hope the summer brings you all happiness and strength. I hope you will find time to post. I enjoy seeing your children grow and thrive in your love.
    Trish
    San Diego, CA

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about your marriage..Or maybe your hubby was a big ole jerk, in that case I say Good For YOU! Hee hee..
    I know how hard it is, honestly I do, so I will say a prayer for peace and patience..Oh wow, six kids on your own..Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, I'm just glad everyone is alright! I've been checking your blog daily!!! SO happy for the update!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I missed your blog and I'm very glad to see you back; my thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

    Best wishes from London, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad to see you guys back!!! I just love you all to bits!! Things will get easier, especially with all those beautiful faces surrounding you! I cried when I watched the video. You go Victoria!! Much love to all of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad to hear from you, I've been checking everyday!

    So glad to hear about Victoria and Francesca's progress, how wonderful! Sometimes it takes bad times, to really appreciate the good times! Prayers to you and your children, you are awesome!

    ,Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, I am thrilled to see a post from my favorite blogger and mom. I am ever so sorry that you are going though a rough time. What a blessing for you to have your dear mother. Looking at Victoria it is all but impossible to see that poor little babe you brought home. They all look to be thriving. You must be doing something right. You have always inspired me and now,,even more. My love to you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Please remember, (in the words of Pooh,) that you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. I know that divorce makes one re-examine everything, but having followed your blog since before you adopted Francesca and Victoria, I must tell you that you are beautiful inside and out, incredibly brave, and very strong. When I grow up I want to be just like you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. How I've missed your blogging! I'm so sorry about the divorce and definitely will be praying. Peace and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ON one hand, I am so sorry that you are going thru this..on the other I have to say I breathed a sigh of relief when I I found out it was "just a divorce" which is stupid cuz divorce is no small thing...but others things had run thru my head...illness or something life threatening..I don´t know..in any case, I am praying that Gods gives you the strength to get thru this and to move on and that you and your kids will be happy, cuz you deserve to be.!! YOU are a great Mom and person from what I see in your blog! And SO STRONG!...I could not help seeing in your post that you say "Bringing up six kids on your own" and I have to say that if your husband is just dropping his responisbility to his family, that is not right. IN any case, SO GLAD to have you back! and awesome about the new developments..: )))

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have followed your blog for a long time, and it has brought such joy to me! I was saddened to hear of your difficulties, and will be praying for all of you. Life has taught me that God is faithful in all of our broken places, to give us peace and restoration as we turn to Him. May His peace surround all of you as you continue caring for these precious lives He has entrusted to you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a range of emotions reading this particular entry. I know I was waiting for the new update....and of course so very sad to hear about your divorce. Then to hear you are with your wonderful mother, and your kids are adjusting....and the video was just so amazing, I started to feel the sadness of the news of the divorce go away and the JOY to see everyone joining together in this new chapter. Your spirits are amazing and I hope you can feel all the love across the miles!! Lots of people rooting for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So glad to see an update. Victoria walking just took my breath away. And tantrums seem to mean that she has her own mind and she is NOT afraid to tell you about it! I'll keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so sorry that you and your family are going through rough times. I am very happy to know that your family is doing alright and glad to see you blogging again. Thinking and praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Look at Victoria go! I'm sorry things are so difficult lately; I hope it gets easier soon.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ditto all of the above. I've so missed reading your updates and have been wondering how all your littles are getting on. I can't BELIEVE the progress of Miss Victoria. Sending you blog-reader love and lots of prayers at this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  35. SO glad to see you and your beautiful children back! We are praying and trusting in God's plan for you, awesome Mama!! (((((BIG HUGS))))) from RI!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So sorry to hear about the difficult times you are (and have been) going through. You have been in my thoughts as I kept checking back for updates. Even if divorce is the right thing for you in your situation, I know that doesn't mean it is easy.

    Praying for you and your children in this time of transition and new phase of life. Glad to see you are back blogging, too!

    {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sorry to read of your divorce, yay for having such a wonderful mother, children and life :)
    Missed your updates and pictures :D

    Be Well

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!