"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lessons

Anastasia woke up feeling "woozy" this morning, so I let her stay home from school. Her first question was, "Do I have to do homeschooling work today?" I assured her she didn't, and she perked right up.

After we dropped Isabella off, we stopped by my mom's house to spread some germs, I mean, love around.

Unlike me, my mom is an excellent cook. She decided to teach Anastasia to make pancakes from scratch. A star was born!!! It's my dream come true, my 8 year old is cooking for me!!!

My mom even gave Anastasia her own pan. Tonight she made grilled cheese for everyone! She is so proud of herself.



Isn't it amazing what a kid can learn when you don't try to teach them anything?

Elliot had a different lesson to learn today. I drove in bumper to bumper traffic to pick him up from school, but he wasn't there. I ventured into the school to search for him and found out he had detention for another hour. He thought it was quite hysterical that I would have to wait for him for an hour, until I decided that I would stay and sit next to him and his friends for the duration of his punishment. Have I mentioned that I was wearing a shirt with baby food smeared on it? Also, the pink not only isn't washing out of my hair, but it has become neon.

At the end of the hour, the teacher said she had never seen Elliot be so attentive. My method was simple. If he tried to goof around, I would bop him on the head.

"I'm here every Tuesday and Thursday", the teacher said confidentially, "please come and visit again!"

I am really looking forward to learning more about congruent triangles with Elliot on Thursday!

11 comments:

  1. ~Way to go mom!~ Seriously, hands on parenting is the best way to go! (And a few reminder bops on the head!)

    ~Way to go Anastasia~ I have an 8 yr old and a 9 yr old and they love swapping out kitchen time to help mama out! Great age...for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!

    Brooke
    www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teenage boys...ugh...I have a couple of those.I love them but they can make me CRAZY!!! Try homeschooling them in 10th and 12th, maybe I'll try the bop them on the head technique!

    Anyway, I wanted to comment on the cooking.My 12 and 15 year olds made 3lbs. of chicken cutlets, 10 lbs. of mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner.It was really good too! My 10yr. old son is a great baker and likes to make all kinds of cookies, cakes, and pies. They print out recipes and make it all themselves.It is amazing what children can do if you let them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you want to give parenting lessons? I bet you could make an easy income that way! I don't think it's too late for me, and I NEVER would have thought of that brilliant idea, sitting right next to your sweet son for detention. :) I agree with the poster above; you always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't think I had any laughter in me this morning, but you proved me wrong! Thank you for making my day brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you just keep going no matter what life throws at you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "What we need is to love without getting tired. How does a lamp burn?

    Through the continuous input of small drops of oil. What are these drops of oil in our lamps?

    They are the small things of daily life, faithfulness, small words of kindness,

    a thought for others, our way of being silent, of looking, of speaking, and of acting.

    Do not look for Jesus away from yourselves. He is not out there; He is in you.

    Keep your lamp burning, and you will recognize Him. " Mother Teresa

    found this on RHFH's website http://www.realhopeforhaiti.org/
    Made me think of you BIG time :D

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!