"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, February 13, 2011

No Rest for the Weary

My kids always want me to lay down with them at night, secretly hoping that I will fall asleep with them. Yesterday I was so tired, I told them I would lie down with them for a little rest. I envisioned sweet cuddles and heart to heart talks. I should have known better. Nothing good can come from that many breathing creatures in a Hello Kitty bed.

Anastasia immediately launched into questions that made my brain hurt.
"Can we die if we breath in the carbon dioxide that we breath out?

Then, Catherine wouldn't stop singing "Santa Claus is coming to Town".
"Be quiet!", Anastasia, the hypocrite, bellowed.
"I can talk if I want to.", retorted Catherine, trying to shove Anastasia, but instead falling on my nose with her sharp little knees.

"Let's play the quiet game.", I suggested, brushing cracker crumbs off the sheets.

"Someone is touching my feet and I don't think it's human!", someone shrieked in the darkness.
Pandemonium ensued. Several things flew through the air before I could get the light on, one of them being my glasses.
Apparently, the dog was under the covers. I'm not sure which dog, but when another dog tried to join in, dog #1 got territorial and growled.
Catherine thought it would be helpful to dump the contents of her sippy cup on the dog.
At this point, I wasn't feeling too relaxed.
"I'm leaving!" I hollered.
"No, please stay Mom, we'll be quiet".
Silence.
"Mom?"
"WHAT!!!!!!!!!"
"I'm hungry".

This morning, my husband said he was tired, so he was going back to bed. I waited until he was snoring softly before I tossed all the kids onto the bed.
Happy Napping!

1 comment:

  1. sounds familiar....ohh the things we sign ourselves up for!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!