"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Homemade

 I am getting a little tired of the neon cheese in the Kraft box. So, at approximately, 5:32 pm (cause I am all about good timing), I decided we needed an adventure in the kitchen. 


As with all adventures, there will always be a few obstacles to overcome, like no clean pots. 


and a gallon of milk spilled all over the refrigerator .......any guesses as to who was responsible for this flood?


She was so proud of herself. Only a special kind of person can make such a huge mess . 


and do I even need to mention, the always merry sunshine?


I assembled my ingredients. My plan: homemade low-acid spaghetti sauce in 30 minutes using all natural ingredients (plus anything else I could find that was not milk soaked)
Supposedly, the key is to use a tablespoon of baking soda. 


"Wow! First a dairy disaster and now I get to hold a tomato!"  I spare no expense to entertain my kids. 


Dancing ensued. I feel the need to mention that Francesca now dresses not only herself, but Victoria as well. 




With a chop, chop here and a..... 


........taste, taste there (she actually ate a piece of raw onion)


here a chop, there a chop (by the way, in case any of you are thinking of attempting this daunting task, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes, but we like to live dangerously!)


Little Miss Sunshine likes the raw onions too. This from a kid who only eats toast with butter. 


Though it can be difficult to manage cooking and watching small children, I had everything under control. 




Victoria didn't like the onions, but she found the leg of a toy prince quite tasty.


To quote little Catherine, "What is that supposed to be?"


It didn't exactly turn out the way I planned (nothing ever does), but it was pretty darn good. 


The reviews are in.........drum roll........

Thumbs up! 


another thumbs up (though she gave the spilled milk a thumbs up too)


The always serious Victoria gives her approval.


Can you believe it? She actually ate her dinner. 


A rather reluctant thumbs up. She didn't like the whole wheat pasta. 


Maybe I should go back to box dinners, though after our adventure, everyone was so tired, we all went straight to bed! I may cook again next month. 



8 comments:

  1. Cute post. Keep them coming. I love reading your blog it always makes me smile. Happy that my kids don't try to get the milk out .......I put it on the top shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuckle chuckle! You always make me laugh! Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a valentine shirt:) I was happy to see the Halloween shirt is still in use. Your family makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL.... Great picture of Catherine! aka "Little Miss Sunshine". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be really really type B. I work from a recipe always and barely let the kdis come in the kitchen and if it were already 5:30 and I hadn't started on a new dish, I would postpone it till the next night and make pancakes instead (they're fast easy and everyone loves them). I bet your kids like you a lot more when you're in dinner mode than mine like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! You HAVE to get the Crockin' Girl Cookbook (Amazon). Some recipes are like four ingredients, dumped in a crockpot, leave it alone for hours, your house starts to smell like wonderful food and then it's done (PS they have several Mac-N-Cheese recipes in there!!!).

    I hate cooking but I want home-cooked meals so this cookbook has been a lifesaver (and I'm even experimenting and dumping my own concoctions in there to try). You can get recipes from them online, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sense of adventure!! We are very "use what we've got" chefs around here and it has led to some very - let's just say interesting - meals around here. Your children are adorable sous chefs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that's the home of Henry, the Betta fish.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!