"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters
compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Different

I guess I have always been a little different. I wish I could say I am confident about that and that I don't care what others think, but that's not true. Sometimes, I wish I could fit in, but it just isn't me. Recently, I realized that I had started thinking differently about how I spend money, any money. When my husbands suggests getting a Big Mac, instead of thinking, "yum" and "no dishes", I think, "I could use that money to help a child".

My seven year old told me today that she wanted to save money to start a collection of Zsu Zsu pets. She already has one. So I said, "Couldn't you use your money to help others". Is this unfair of me to push my feelings on my child?

I have always been kind of shy, but recently I almost feel brave enough to tell people, "Hey! Don't get that new $20,000 car or do you really need to go on an expensive cruise every year, you could help a child! Help a dog! Help someone". I have never said this, and maybe it isn't right that I do. But someone along the way must have said something to me to make me see things differently and what if they hadn't.

Then I wouldn't have had these angels.....






What do you all think?

1 comment:

  1. Catherine, thanks for stopping by my blog! You asked when I adopted Ronnie - it was just this year - March 23rd! His adoption was finalized on National Adoption Day, November 20th. He will be 16 years old in just a few short days, and he is such a joy to me.

    Here's the rundown on the rest of the family. I am a single mom. I have a 20 year old birth son named Chip. I adopted my first daughter, Ashley, when she was 2 years old. She will be 16 in March. She is deafblind and has intractable seizures. But, she is also all teenager and certainly keeps me on my toes.

    I adopted my second daughter, Jessica, when she was 9 years old, and she just turned 20. She had brain cancer as a child, but worse than that was the time she spent in foster care which left her with significant mental illness. She is trying out semi-independent living right now, and is actually doing quite well.

    Corey joined my family when he was 12 years old and he just turned 18. He is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, and is a lost soul just trying to find his way in life. He hopes to graduate high school this year and move on to the army.

    Then finally, Ronnie, who as I said just joined our family in March. He is Deaf and has spina bifida and advanced kidney disease. He too is all teenager, and I can't ever get his cell phone (provided by Make a Wish) out of his hands. He texts his friends constantly!!

    I'm glad you started blogging. Stop by my blog and I will certainly be back to visit you!

    Deborah
    (Ashley's Mom)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I have to moderate comments because of spam!